When it’s time to replace your siding, it makes sense to carefully choose the right style, material, and brand for your home. After all, siding is a significant investment—one that is well worth it, especially when you invest in durable, aesthetically pleasing fiber cement siding. Fiber cement siding provides great results that other materials don’t deliver, giving you a strong return on your investment for years to come.
At Iron River Construction, the siding contractor Minneapolis area homeowners rely on, we recommend James Hardie® fiber cement siding because of how well it performs. Visually, it adds beauty and elegance, giving you enviable curb appeal. Performance wise, it offers strong protection from the weather over the long-term.
But how do you evaluate the true cost and value of James Hardie siding for your home? We’ve put together this handy guide so you’ll know what costs and benefits to consider as you make your decision.
How the Cost of Your Siding Is Determined
When it comes to fiber cement siding installation, many elements factor into the price.
For Minneapolis, the average cost of installing fiber cement siding is around $10 per square foot, including installation, which comes out to an average of $14,000 per home. This is an estimated average cost; the actual number may edge lower or higher depending on your specific needs and preferences.
On average, fiber cement siding is pricier than vinyl, but comparable to wood siding’s cost. And it is often less expensive than stone veneer.
James Hardie siding is custom manufactured for your Minnesota home. This is beneficial because:
- It can be primed in the factory so it is ready for paining upon installation.
- It can also be infused with James Hardie’s patented, baked-on ColorPlus® technology, which provides lasting color without the need to paint.
Once the siding is made, it is immediately shipped to your location.
- Since fiber cement is a weightier substance than vinyl, it costs more to be shipped, which can affect its overall price.
- The extra weight also makes fiber cement much more durable than vinyl.
- It lasts much longer than other siding materials and won’t need replacement as often as either vinyl or wood.
Professional Installation Matters Too
Fiber cement siding is weighty enough that it takes expertise to be properly set into place. It’s a two-man job to lift each board. This means you will be investing not just in the material, but in the knowledge and experience of a company that knows how to correctly install James Hardie siding.
Professional installation includes:
- All necessary materials for proper installation
- Experienced labor
- Proper permits and licensing
- Debris removal and disposal
Of course, professional installation affects the overall cost of your siding, but it has its benefits. When you call on a James Hardie fiber cement siding contractor in Minneapolis—like Iron River Construction—you get their many years of experience in properly installing fiber cement siding.
It’s better to have pros do the installation because:
- Fiber cement is heavy, so you can’t install it on your own.
- If not handled correctly, it can crack.
- It also requires special tools and materials to properly cut and secure it in place.
- Professional installation helps ensure you get the full benefits of the James Hardie warranty—one of the best in the industry.
House Size and Style
It stands to reason, but the size and style of a home determines how much siding you will need to buy.
- If you have a large home, you’ll need more siding.
- The style of the house may also determine the types of siding board you need to match its aesthetics.
- Fortunately, James Hardie siding comes in a wide variety of styles, from vertical and horizontal siding to HardieShingle®, soffits, fascia, and trim.
As a result, the cost of your fiber cement siding is well balanced by James Hardie’s ability to beautifully, fully blend with your home’s appearance.
Excellent Return on Investment
On average, homeowners who install attractive, strong, long-lasting James Hardie fiber cement siding on their Minneapolis home recoup 80-85% of their investment when they sell their home. This is one of the highest returns on investment for any home improvement you can perform.
The Benefits of James Hardie Siding
James Hardie siding may require an investment—but when considering the advantages of choosing fiber cement siding over vinyl or wood, homeowners often decide the investment is well worth it in the long-term.
- It’s climate friendly—With James Hardie fiber cement siding, you get the benefit of HardieZone® technology, which has been engineered to perform well in Minnesota’s wet, cold climate.
- It’s easy to maintain—James Hardie siding is a wonderful low-maintenance option for your home exterior. Simply rinse it gently with a garden hose once a year to remove dirt and dust.
- It’s durable—James Hardie resists damage from moisture, rotting, termites, woodpeckers, hail, snowstorms, and other various pests and elements. It is also rated non-combustible and won’t contribute to a fire.
- It’s respected. Homeowners love James Hardie fiber cement siding because it’s beautiful and long-lasting. It has even earned the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.
Invest in Siding that Makes You Love Your Home All Over Again
Your home is your refuge. Ensuring that it looks and functions at its best is a great way to ensure you fully enjoy the home lifestyle you desire. So, don’t live with a home exterior that is lackluster, dull, or low-performing. Invest in beautiful fiber cement siding that gives you the look, feel, and performance you deserve to enjoy.
At Iron River, our team of James Hardie siding installation experts serve Minneapolis and St. Paul with top-notch service and care—so you can have peace of mind in home improvements that work for you for years to come. The process is simple, and it’s easy to get started.
- Consult—We work with you to assess your needs and give you a full estimate.
- Design—You share your vision and preferences, and we make a solid, reliable plan.
- Delight—You receive a home upgrade that makes you happy to come home and relax for years to come.
Get started on the process of a home improvement project you’ll love. Schedule an appointment with us today. We look forward to assisting you.