The cold Minnesota winter is nearly over, and it’s time to start dreaming of ways to enhance and upgrade your home come spring. The warmer months are ideal for taking on home improvement projects that add value and functionality to your home exterior—such as a new and improved outdoor deck.
There are numerous advantages to addressing your outdoor deck needs this spring. Decks are a great spot for entertaining large groups in warm weather, or just enjoying quiet time in your yard. But many Minnesota homes have older decks that need some serious TLC before you use them.
As you take a look at making improvements on your outdoor deck, keep in mind these 6 reasons that your deck may benefit from attractive upgrades—or even a complete remodeling makeover.
1. Increases Your Home’s Value
Experts agree that upgrading an aging deck or adding a new deck can boost the resale value of your home. There are several reasons for this enhanced value:
- A beautiful deck gives an uplift to your home’s resale value.
- If your home lacks a deck or has an older, smaller one, upgrading to a spacious deck adds extra living space to your home.
- Decks are sought after by many home buyers, making your home more appealing when you decide it’s time to sell.
2. Improves Its Safety
Many Minnesota homes have outdoor deck spaces that haven’t been updated since the house was first built. So, if the home is a few decades old or your deck has significant wear and tear, it likely needs attention.
Some safety issues that are common with aging decks include:
- Flooring that sags or is weakened, making it structurally unsound
- Worn wood that is splintering or damaged by moisture
- Shaky or nonexistent railing, increasing the likelihood of falls
- Broken or sagging steps that are hard to navigate
- Poor lighting, making it difficult to walk about safely in the dark
All of these issues and more can be addressed with a deck upgrade by a trusted home exterior remodeling company.
3. Creates Space for Entertaining
In warm weather, one of the great benefits of owning a home is the ability to host parties and gatherings of large sizes with ease. A great outdoor deck with plenty of comfortable seating and all the amenities can really boost your entertainment options.
Why is an outdoor deck so useful for entertaining?
- Your entire yard can become your party space, giving you more room to work with than inside rooms usually do.
- Outdoor spaces give your guests more breathing room.
- Outside spills on wood and grass are less of an issue than inside spills, where you don’t want furniture and rugs to be damaged.
- Feeding people can be simpler—just throw some meat and veggies on the grill, and put drinks in a container filled with ice, and you’re ready to go.
4. Adds to Its Beauty
A deck can beautify the outdoor area of your home in many ways, all of which can add to your enjoyment and impress guests.
- Attractive wood decking is appealing to the eye.
- Planters full of flowers help bring the bright colors of spring and summer close to your home.
- Fun furniture with outdoor throw pillows, waterproof baskets, and other decorative items allow you to bring your personal design tastes to the exterior of your home.
5. Makes It More Functional
Often, homeowners fail to use the deck they have. And it’s not for a lack of desire, but rather a lack of practical functionality. If your deck isn’t working for you right now, an upgrade or an entirely new remodel can go a long way toward giving you the outdoor space of your dreams.
Consider popular upgrades that add functionality you’ll love:
- An outdoor fireplace or built-in grill area where you can cook in style
- Screens to keep insects away while you enjoy your space
- A roof or pergola to provide both beauty and shade from the sun
- Ceiling fans to cool the area on especially hot summer days
- Decorative stone post covers to add an extra level of class to your deck’s structural elements
- New lighting features, including twinkle lights or lanterns for added charm
6. Gives You More Reasons to Get Outdoors
The verdict is in—there is ample scientific proof that getting outdoors is good for your health. Among the benefits of spending time outside on a stunning new deck:
- Boosts energy levels
- Reduces stress
- Improves mood
- Enhances creativity
- Restores focus
Being able to spend time on a deck that is comfortable, inviting, safe, and functional makes it a whole lot easier to take some much-needed time away from your usual daily activities to rest, rejuvenate, and enjoy the natural beauty surrounding your home. After all, isn’t that part of why you bought your home to begin with—to enjoy its yard as well as its inside spaces?
Enjoy the Outdoor Deck of Your Dreams This Year
Whether you’re wondering how an outdoor deck can enhance your unique Minnesota home, or whether you’re ready to jump into an upgrade right now, consulting with a home improvement company is a great place to start.
We believe Minnesota homeowners deserve to live the lifestyle they desire, in homes that look gorgeous and perform superbly. That’s why our team at Iron River Construction has nearly 20 years of experience remodeling thousands of Minnesota homes. We believe in giving you top-notch home improvements like outdoor decks at a reasonable price, making the process smooth, simple, and stress-free so you can enjoy your home.
Simply book your own appointment with us today to get the process started. We’ll give you an on-site consultation and provide a free estimate for the outdoor deck you’re dreaming of, or any other home improvements we can assist you with.